Monday, February 11, 2013

Ladies' night

I've been DJying on and off for quite some time now. I've done my own promotion too, and did I ever learn some valuable lessons there (don't trust club owners is pretty much at the top.)

After my last gig fizzed out, opening the evening at Burning Mondays, I sort of fell off the wagon. Well, it's not so much that I fell off the wagon, as the scene and it's inhabitants preferred to all just the "hard noise" (or something like that) bandwagon, leaving any sort of rock variants in the dustbin. It's a bummer, especially since this town used to mean something, but that was a long time ago, and it's only been going steadily downhill.

One way or another, I've always been fairly eclectic in my musical tastes, which have been strongly influenced by the many DJs, whether in clubs or on the radio I have tuned to. I liked this idea that a good club night was not restricted to a single niche market; for one thing, it's a recipe for rapid failure, and this sort of elitism only appeals to a small crew of sycophants, who will abandon ship as soon as the new cool, elite thing comes along. It's not my game.

I had been playing with the idea of podcasting, or streaming a setlist on the internet for many years now, but never got around to it. It was mostly excuses, or the lack of motivation that stalled me. A friend of mine, Nikki, had been doing her show for a while online, and it turns out that a spot opened on the station that hosted her gig, The Katalepsia show. Now, I felt a little out of my depth at first, but I jumped in with both feet, and overall, I'm pretty happy with what I'm making.

I have some fun doing the occasional themed show, if the timing makes it relevant. I've done Hallow'een, Rememberance day, X-mass, New Years, and this week, it's Valentine's day, which due to the timing and general circumstances, I decided to drop the whole Hallmarks thing in favor of something more interesting: Ladies' Night. Here's the setlist, for your enjoyment and comments:


p j harvey - to bring you my love
nick cave and the bad seeds - loverman
bat for lashes - what's a girl to do
zola jesus - night
coi - windowpane
fad gaget - lady shave
kraftwerk - das model
new order - blue monday
the sisters of mercy - lucretia
pop will eat itself - wise up! sucker
x-ray specs - oh! bondage up yours!
bikini kill - rebel girl
shonen knife - she's the one
the cramps - what's inside a girl?
siouxie and the banshees - christine
bauhaus - she's in parties
trisomie 21 - the last song
vast - touched
joy division - she's lost control
the gun club - she's like heroin to me
voltaire - ex lover's lover
this mortal coil - song to the siren

I'm on Radio Zombie, running a show called Bloody Monday. You can stream or download the podcast, and it's free, so why not tune in?

No comments:

Post a Comment